Monday, September 24, 2012

Black-rumped Flameback (Dinopium benghalense)



The Black-rumped Flameback is a large species at 26–29 cm in length. It has a typical woodpecker shape, and the golden yellow wing coverts are distinctive. The rump is black and not red as in the Greater Flamaback. The underparts are white with dark chevron markings. The black throat finely marked with white immediately separates it from other golden backed woodpeckers in the Indian region. The head is whitish with a black nape and throat, and there is a greyish eye patch. Unlike the Greater Flameback it has no dark moustachial stripes.

The adult male has a red crown and crest. Females have a black forecrown spotted with white, with red only on the rear crest. Young birds are like the female, but duller.

Like other woodpeckers, this species has a straight pointed bill, a stiff tail to provide support against tree trunks, and zygodactyl feet, with two toes pointing forward, and two backward. The long tongue can be darted forward to capture insects.

One day when I was going to my field and was on my path I saw this guy feeding from tree to tree. The lighting was dim and complicated because of the trees. My camera was with me so i did set my camera in aperture priority mode with auto sensitivity. First I watched him for some time to understand his behavior and when I was fully satisfied I did start tracking him. I captured him in my camera on different trees in different lighting conditions.

Here are some images from that series.




Black-rumped Flameback feeding on different trees

All Images are Copyrighted Syed F. Abbas and may not be used in any form, website or print/online media without written permission of the Photographer. For any inquiry for the photographs please contact: 
syedfabbasfotography@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment